What to Expect
Intensity. You’ll work with professional musicians and meet peers from across the country who shares your passion. You will study:
- Basic Theory – develop an understanding of how notes, chords and scales work, as well as learning key transposition, song structure, and ear training.
- Musical Analysis – how to listen to a song of the early rock genre, hear the chord progressions, and chart them on paper in a manner that will enable other musicians to perform the song exactly as it is heard on the recording.
- Ensemble Playing – develop the ability to play with other musicians and learn how to listen. This will be achieved through band labs as well as structured and unstructured jam sessions.
- One to One Instruction on your instrument, learning how to accompany vocals and other instruments.
- Improvisation – how to create melodies and solos on the spot.
- Music History – acquire an understanding of the musical roots of popular music today by exploring other genres such as blues, swing, country, boogie-woogie, and Gospel.
- Song writing – how to write songs, invent catchy melodies and killer intros, copyrighting, and the business of music.
- Performance – Once a year there will be an annual show where all participants will perform before a live audience consisting of fellow students, parents, teachers, and the general public.
The Rock and Pop Academy of Scotland is a registered Scottish Charity. We are the original performance based, interactive music school, founded in Paisley. We proceed from the belief that the best way to learn is by doing it.
Therefore, from the moment a student joins one of our schools, he or she is playing music, loud, with other musicians, and on genuine equipment, and before long we have our students playing shows.
Our students have played, at such legendary venues as The Garage, The SECC – Armadillo, London O2, O2 ABC 1,The Barrowlands, The Cathouse, The Ferry and for 3 years played at The Wickerman Festival.
To attain our goals, we have established a highly competitive, yet thoroughly supportive environment, where our students are challenged at every turn.
One to One Lessons
One to one sessions are a perfect option for music students seeking a lessons-only program maybe looking for help in passing school music exams in Standard Grades or Highers. It’s ideal for students who have a limited schedule, but are still seeking to one day perform solo or in a band. Again as in the band syllabus we fit the lessons around what you want. All lessons are 45 minutes one to one.